Let’s be honest here. When it comes to the best pizza cities what comes to mind? Chicago? New York? and even Detroit.
Well you’d be right. According to a study by listwithclever.com:
- Detroit is America’s best city for pizza, with low prices and the highest online search activity for pizza. Jump to section👇
- Americans think New York is the best pizza city, with 41% listing it among their top five pizza cities. Los Angeles (40%) ranks No. 2, and Chicago ranks No. 3 (35%). 👇
- Americans are the least impressed with Oklahoma City, Providence, Rhode Island, and Columbus, Ohio — just 2% consider them top five pizza cities.
But here’s the surprise. Phoenix is the 4th-best pizza city in the country, rising 38 spots up the rankings from 2022.
A large pepperoni pizza in Phoenix costs $19.33 — compared to New York City, where the average cost of a large pepperoni pizza is $35.08 — the most expensive out of all 50 cities studied.
Phoenix has a pizza passion score of 73 out of 100 based on 25 pizza-related Google search terms, compared to the national average pizza passion score of 65.
How the metrics work.
In all, listwithclever.com used multiple metrics, weighted in the following manner:
- 4x: Pizza reputation (survey of 1,000 Americans)
- 4x: Online search activity for 25 pizza-related terms (“pizza passion”)
- 2x: Average price of a large cheese pizza
- 1x: Average price of a large pepperoni pizza
- 1x: Average Yelp rating for pizza restaurants
- 1x: Rate of pizza restaurants per 100,000 residents
And what are the best pizza places in the Phoenix area. According to Top Pizza 52, an Italian organization that ranks the best pizza throughout the world, are;
38. Pomo in Scottsdale as well as two locations in Phoenix.
50. Craft 64 in Scottsdale also has a location in Chandler.